Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-21 14:10:54

Hems

[SOLVED] MACR_CARA_POUTRE need help in understanding orientation

Hi,

I am trying to understand the local axis of the section defined when using MACR CARA POUTRE to calculation sectional properties.

I understand that the X_local is along the beam direction, but it is not clear for me to identify Y_local and Z_local. Someone, please explain to me which direction is Y local

JP Aubry wrote:

in chapter-6 Understanding some details -pg. 62
• the local x axis lies along the beam;
• the local y axis lies by default in the global XOY plane;  (Not clear Y-local point towards the  X_global or Y_global when I draw the section in XOY plane to calculate the section properties using MACR_CARA_POUTRE)
• and the local z completes the trihedron.

When I tried to calculate a simple beam with rectangular cross-section 0.1*0.2 meter by defining it in the Global axis in a different direction to find the effect I realized it not making any difference. (Refer attached picture)

Please, someone, explain to me how to verify my beam orientation? Is it possible to visualize orientation? I have a model with beam elements in different directions to be assigned with H-sections. it is important for me to get it right. since it is difficult to verify with hand calculations like in simple beam cases.

Thanks and Regards,
Hems

Last edited by Hems (2020-03-06 13:05:01)

Attachments:
orientation.PNG, Size: 25.63 KiB, Downloads: 141

#2 2020-03-04 12:14:52

jlf

Re: [SOLVED] MACR_CARA_POUTRE need help in understanding orientation

Hi,

Take a look at : AFFE_CARA_ELEM (U4.42.01). Chapter 10 / ORIENTATION

JLF

#3 2020-03-04 15:22:22

jlf

Re Hi,

You can also check the formations slides

==> [Formations][Code_Aster / Salome-Meca - Module 4 : Génie Civil][06-Structural Elements for Civil Engineering Studies]

At the end of slide n°19 : How to check that the cross sections and their orientation are good ?
In the next slides n°20 to 23 : the response for visualizing the local beams axis in module ParaVis of Salome_Meca.

It's just a IMPR_RESU of the CARA_ELEM concept.
IMPR_RESU( FORMAT='MED', UNITE=40, CONCEPT=_F(CARA_ELEM=CAEL, REPERE_LOCAL='ELNO', MODELE=Model), )

JL

#4 2020-03-06 13:02:56

Hems

Hi Jlf,

Thanks a lot for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks and Regards,
Hems