Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-27 08:16:31

psmith

Variation of Young's Modulus with depth

Hi all,

I am new to code_aster and this forum.

I am trying to model a 2D problem where I need to vary the value of Young's modulus of elasticity along the depth of the geometry (i.e., Y co-ordinates).  I searched the forum and came across (post ID #21221) where a similar problem is discussed, but I could not find the closure to that discussion. I also have looked through U4.43.03 (including Example 5) which sheds some light on the issue, but I could not find the explicit wording that the Young's Modulus cannot be a function of Y co-ordinate.

If there is some another problem of this nature that has already been discussed and/or if there is any documentation or suggestion from you on the issue, could you please let me know.

Thanks.

Paul

#2 2019-03-15 11:20:55

CLF
Website

Re: Variation of Young's Modulus with depth

Hi Paul

I am not sure I can provide the best help on this, but as no one else has replied to your question...

For what it is worth
1) The boundary element 2D_FLUI_PESA adds gravity at least to vibroacoustic solutions, i.e. you should be able to incorporate a prestressing effect at least on p-waves. Take a look at document U3.14.02.
2) You can always cheat and use Python inside CA, i.e. build the model, assemble the mass&stiffness matrices and the tweak those to your liking.

Sincerely
Claes

#3 2019-03-16 03:54:21

psmith

Hi Claes,

Thanks for this. I have been playing with second suggested option since  my post in the forum more than 6 months ago, with partial success.

Good to know about the first option as well.

Paul

#4 2019-03-16 23:28:14

CLF
Website

Hi Paul

Good to know that you did not get stuck.

A hint - it is a good habit to post your file on the forum as it enables other people to provide help. Even if they do not know exactly what you are trying to achieve, they might till provide useful input. Also, your post is searchable and may help the next person.

Just my 2 cents.

/Claes