Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-26 17:18:25

toltec

Stable Release Compatibility & Documentation

Dear EDF Staff,

I believe that EDF have not clearly stated the impact that users will experience when updating from version 10.3 to 10.5/v11. Over the past year or two I've created a suite of simple benchmarks which I run after each stable release. A few months ago I was using Salome 5.1.5, Med V2 and Aster V10.3. Everything worked as it should, including Eficas which I find useful. In June I updated to Aster V11.0.10 (I was mistakenly under the impression that this was a STAble release). I also updated to Salome V6.3.0.

Most of my benchmarks wouldn't run, which is understandable, but as noted elsewhere I couldn't use Eficas to debug my analyses as it does not check for all syntax issues in v11.0.10. It was suggested that I use SalomeMeca 2011.2 to partially translate models. This is messy, but partially successful.  After modifications coque_3D models ran, but results could not be viewed in Salome v6.3.0. It was suggested on the forum that an Aster NEW update would fix this. V11.0.23 results in Salome 6.3.1 still fail to display shell elements. Updating to V11.0.23 broke my benchmarks further (VECTEUR is no longer valid). In other words I have been sucked into the development environment which is inherently unstable.

I could, if I wanted to regain my sanity, revert back to Salome 5.1.5 and Aster V10.3, however we have created new analyses and benchmarks over the past weeks using Salome 6.3.0 (Med v3) which is not compatible with V10.3. In other words, however I look at it, time and money have been wasted.

Prior to V11 release only stable releases were available from the main EDF "Downloads" page (if memory serves me correctly). The fact that V11.0.10 on this page is a development release is not overly obvious. Please state CLEARLY on this page that the latest stable, fully compatible packages are Aster V10.3 and Salome 5.1.6 (this is correct isn't it?).

Furthermore, in my experience FEA developers always release and freeze documents compatible with stable software releases. Given that V11 is a development version, it stands to reason that the V11 documents are updated often. However, given that Salome 5.1.6/Aster 10.3 are the latest stable/compatible releases, can I assume that the V10 documents are 100% compatible with these packages, or do they reflect V10.5 developments? If so please show me where I can get V10.3 documents.

Regards

Gary

Ubuntu 12.04
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz

#2 2011-09-26 17:57:18

cacciatorino

Re: Stable Release Compatibility & Documentation

Toltec, I agree with you about main points.

Just a comment: when you say that you understand the problem of Eficas that refuses to load an older version comm file, I don't agree. A software should always assure the foreward compatibility, at least this is my experience in more than 15 years of use of CAD softwares.

About Med2/Med3 issue, Salome team should put a big advise in the download page:

"be aware that med file creates by Salome 6.3.x cannot be read by C_A till rel. 10.4"

#3 2011-09-26 18:34:15

Thomas DE SOZA
Guru

toltec wrote:

I believe that EDF have not clearly stated the impact that users will experience when updating from version 10.3 to 10.5/v11. Over the past year or two I've created a suite of simple benchmarks which I run after each stable release. A few months ago I was using Salome 5.1.5, Med V2 and Aster V10.3. Everything worked as it should, including Eficas which I find useful. In June I updated to Aster V11.0.10 (I was mistakenly under the impression that this was a STAble release). I also updated to Salome V6.3.0.

Most of my benchmarks wouldn't run, which is understandable, but as noted elsewhere I couldn't use Eficas to debug my analyses as it does not check for all syntax issues in v11.0.10. It was suggested that I use SalomeMeca 2011.2 to partially translate models. This is messy, but partially successful.  After modifications coque_3D models ran, but results could not be viewed in Salome v6.3.0. It was suggested on the forum that an Aster NEW update would fix this. V11.0.23 results in Salome 6.3.1 still fail to display shell elements. Updating to V11.0.23 broke my benchmarks further (VECTEUR is no longer valid). In other words I have been sucked into the development environment which is inherently unstable.

The visualization problem regarding COQUE_3D (more precisely TRIA7 or QUAD9 elements) is a Salomé problem, a future version should fix this. We switched the output of such elements after MED-3 was made available and allowed to print results on such element.
Since a few days GMSH is able to read MED-3 files. I did not try to view QUAD9 or TRIA7 but it may be a solution.

toltec wrote:

I could, if I wanted to regain my sanity, revert back to Salome 5.1.5 and Aster V10.3, however we have created new analyses and benchmarks over the past weeks using Salome 6.3.0 (Med v3) which is not compatible with V10.3. In other words, however I look at it, time and money have been wasted.

Prior to V11 release only stable releases were available from the main EDF "Downloads" page (if memory serves me correctly). The fact that V11.0.10 on this page is a development release is not overly obvious. Please state CLEARLY on this page that the latest stable, fully compatible packages are Aster V10.3 and Salome 5.1.6 (this is correct isn't it?).

See this post for more info : http://www.code-aster.org/forum2/viewto … 720#p29720
In a nutshell, a release was made from an unstable version to provide MED-3 in accordance with Salomé. This support was not available in 11.0 (which is 10.3.23 version) it was added later.

toltec wrote:

Furthermore, in my experience FEA developers always release and freeze documents compatible with stable software releases. Given that V11 is a development version, it stands to reason that the V11 documents are updated often. However, given that Salome 5.1.6/Aster 10.3 are the latest stable/compatible releases, can I assume that the V10 documents are 100% compatible with these packages, or do they reflect V10.5 developments? If so please show me where I can get V10.3 documents.

The V10 documents are indeed frozen, only small fixes are sometimes backported in this branch (the same way all V10 versions past 10.3.23 only receive bug fixes).

TdS

#4 2011-09-27 09:05:18

toltec

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to reinstall Salome 5.1.6 and CA v10.3. I'll upgrade to V11 when it's a stable release and Salome can read COQUE_3D results. Until that time using V11 in a production environment is too risky.

Regards

Gary

Ubuntu 12.04

#5 2011-09-27 09:38:16

Thomas DE SOZA
Guru

toltec wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to reinstall Salome 5.1.6 and CA v10.3. I'll upgrade to V11 when it's a stable release and Salome can read COQUE_3D results. Until that time using V11 in a production environment is too risky.

It seems in fact that PARAVIS (the paraview component of Salomé) can read QUAD9/TRIA7 correctly, you should have a look into it.

TdS

#6 2011-09-27 09:59:26

toltec

OK, thanks for that.

Regards

Gary

Ubuntu 12.04