Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-17 23:24:57

toltec

Server Confusion on Standalone Desktop

Hello,

I've installed Aster 9.4 on a standalone Ubuntu 8.10 PC, hostname g-desktop-u, using GCC. The installation seemed to go OK. This PC is dual booted with Vista, hostname g-desktop-w. The setup.cfg does not point to g-desktop-w at all, in fact doing a "find" on my Ubuntu partions show that no file contains the text "g-desktop-w".

Despite this ASTK shows two execution machines 1) g-desktop-u 2) g-desktop-w and one server g-desktop-u

I can only get jobs to run if I select g-desktop-w as execution machine and server as g-desktop-u but then results are not copied back from /tmp as g-desktop-w does not have an encrypt key to SSH to g-desktop-u (I have a SSH server setup) .

1) Does anyone have a clue about where the installation process is getting "g-desktop-w" from?

2) Do I HAVE to use SSH to move results around a standalone machine? If so this seems complicated.

I would really appreciate some help from someone. I cannot afford to waste more time getting Aster to behave sensibly.

Regards

PS vi /home/gary/.astkrc/config_serveurs shows:

vers : STA9.4
noeud : g-desktop-w
noeud : g-desktop-u
mach_ref : non
islocal : oui

Commenting out g-desktop-w makes no difference

Ubuntu 12.04
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz

#2 2009-01-18 01:35:49

laurent

Re: Server Confusion on Standalone Desktop

Hi

1) No clues (not helping much here)

2)
a.It is mentionned in french in 2 posts and english in one

http://www.code-aster.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?id=2468
"Be careful !
If your are on Ubuntu, the rsh protocol is not installed and Ubuntu always uses ssh protocol.
ssh and rsh are the same protocols in the default installation of ubuntu: the normal ssh and a "modified" rsh that is the ssh with an alias.
Solution: simply install rsh protocol (the real and not an alias)."

So i would believe you need to install rsh on Ubuntu
Aster is apparently developped for a network environment, that's why it is making use of rsh, display and so on

b. You might encounter some issues if you run a calculation with "Interactive Follow-up" / "Suivi Interactif"
For security reason, some linux distrib. don t allow a terminal to be open to follow the caculation
Look in the forum for "aster" "no-listen-"tcp" if you have the problem

3) As for not having the time to waste getting Aster to behave more sensibly, i would say that you went directly with the most complicated install
If i read carefully your posts, you began with a 64bits install and brand new intel compiler (v11?)
Congratulations for this!
i would have started with 32bits and gcc (compile usually in less than 1hour, mostly no issues), 32bits and Intel (some issues) and then try the 64bits with recommended/tested compilers, just to get some experience

Take care
laurent

#3 2009-01-18 09:59:54

toltec

Re: Server Confusion on Standalone Desktop

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your quick reply and links to relevant posts. I'll install the rcp server as you suggest. Yes, I think much of my frustration is caused by going into the deep end without knowledge of compiling complex programs. But the good news is once this rcp issue is solved I'll have a 64 bit installation working. I've learned a lot over the past few weeks!

Thanks again for your time.

Regards

G

Ubuntu 12.04
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz