Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-11 15:18:40

Jm B

Eficas in English

Hello all,

In the interest of making Code-Aster's command file editor EFICAS more usable by English speaking users and following up on the excellent initiative taken up by Jason, I have translated his messages.po file into English. Yes all 5700 lines of it.  It may still contain errors from my limited knowledge of French, but it is a start.  It is ready for anybody who knows more than I do about the gettext tools for internationalization (i18n).

Jason's Sourceforge project is available at: codeaster-intl.sourceforge.net

In doing so I am hoping that somebody will come forward quickly to help in the i18n process for EFICAS & ASTK ... hint, HINT!

I have posted a similar message in the CAELinux forums, in the hope that we can get a co-operative effort going quickly.  Please feel free to lend a hand in making Code-Aster universal.

Regards,
JMB

#2 2008-09-22 17:48:10

JMB365

Re: Eficas in English

Hello again,

Two years ago, I had hoped that EFICAS and ASTK would be internationalized.  And with a view to aiding that process I had created a messages.po file for French to English.  It seems that talk about getting both these tools internationalized has completely disappeared.  Is there nobody interested in making these tools easier to use by non-Francophone users?  I hope we can get some synergy and enthusiasm going to push this along.  I think we can find volunteers to help in the process, but this can only happen if contributions to the effort have some hope of being incorporated into future releases.  The silence is surprising.  Developers can we hope to hear from you?

Regards,
JMB

Last edited by JMB365 (2008-09-22 17:51:05)

SalomeMeca 2021
Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04

#3 2008-11-01 18:41:49

arnoldh

Dear JMB,

I have downloaded the "old" messages.po file and the old internationalised Eficas version. Is it somehow possible to use the messages.po file for the current Eficas version? If so, how do I use the .po file (I don't have a clue how to handle it.

Furthermore, I would like to know if its possible to simply translate the menu items into english. Does anybody has experience with it? If so, are there things I have to take care of?

I think somehow, the community has to push/take care of a translation of code_aster source files and documentation, since it isn't one of the core interests of EDF I think (understandable). But for me, using code_aster is pretty hard since my french is even poorer then poor.....

Regards,

Arnold

#4 2008-11-12 13:48:22

JMB365

arnoldh wrote:

Dear JMB,

I have downloaded the "old" messages.po file and the old internationalised Eficas version. Is it somehow possible to use the messages.po file for the current Eficas version? If so, how do I use the .po file (I don't have a clue how to handle it.

Arnold

Hello Arnoldh,

It has been a long time ago that I started this task and have abandoned it due to poor support from developers or other Code-Aster enthusiasts.  I think a Google search for i18n (abbreviation for "Internationalization") might help you.  After painfully translating each error message from Fr -> En one will have to recompile Eficas.  I think there are some tools within i18n that convert the source code for the i18n process.  Essentially these tools replace all the strings in the source code with a leading marker, so that when you choose to recompile to a specific language it knows which *.po file to use and how to replace those strings with strings from the *.po file.  This is a very vague and simplistic explanation and all I can remember for the moment.  Hope it helps.  If you embark on this process, I will try my best to help you, so long as we can publish it for the benefit of all.

Regards,
JMB

SalomeMeca 2021
Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04

#5 2012-06-04 12:56:28

Dr.Faustus

Hi JMB365, iìm interested in developing this translation,'ive had a look at some message.po, but i dont understand how i've to use this message.po
In he eficas folder there isn't any message.po to overwite.. I can find nothing about using this message in the net...
Could you tell me some tips about it?
Thanks

#6 2012-10-05 01:42:00

JMB365

Dr.Faustus wrote:

iìm interested in developing this translation,'ive had a look at some message.po, but i dont understand how i've to use this message.po
In he eficas folder there isn't any message.po to overwite.. Could you tell me some tips about it?

Hello Dr.Faustus,

Sorry I have not been active on the forums for a long time, so I did not see your message until today, but I did read something about i18n in this doc that may be useful in your efforts, if multl-lang support has not already been incorporated into Eficas, which I have not checked lately in newer versions of CodeAster.  Maybe somebody more knowledgeable about this can comment further...

http://www.code-aster.org/V2/doc/defaul … .04.03.pdf

Regards, JMB

SalomeMeca 2021
Ubuntu 20.04, 22.04