Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-25 09:45:59

hpp

SalomeMeca singularity on MacOS

Hello,

I have succeeded downloading the actual salome*.sif as well as singularity for MacOS (running Monterey). This is Version 3.2.0-rc2. singularity is working - it is executable, it displays --help etc.

But: Starting singularity run --app install ... results in a big error. It shows

Invalid flag "--app" for command "run"

There is not such option! Neither help nor the documentation knows abaout --app. Could it be a problem of version? Is --app a new option for versions later than 3.2? I remain somewhat perplexed.

Greetz, hp prüfer

#2 2022-02-27 07:56:52

hberro

Re: SalomeMeca singularity on MacOS

It is possibly due to your singularity version.

Are you able to run the sif file directly ?

singularity run *.sif

#3 2022-03-08 15:00:33

hpp

In the meantime since your kind answer I have tried several ways to find a solution. At first answers to your questions:

"It is possibly due to your singularity version."

Maybe. I usually mistrust versions for MacOS. There is almost always a hidden beastliness ...

"Are you able to run the sif file directly ?"

Of course I did try this. It is not possible. I get a real interesting error message: "vmx_init: processor does not support desired secondary processor-based controls".

This message seems to be well-known, at least sort of. But I am still not able to discover a working remedy.

Second, an alternative idea:

I tried the brute force approach. I installed a virtual machine runnig Debian buster for a scibian overlay. But even this resulted in a kind of helplesness. Ok, the basesystem is running. But then the recipe of scibian (https: .. scibian.org/docs/scibian10_installation.html) leads into the boondocks and remains there, because gnupg is missing and cannot be installed. Maybe I am too blind ... anyway, I am working with unixoid systems for more than three decades, I have compiled kernels and so on. But in this case I am finished.

Btw, compiling singularity from scratch on a Mac is a desaster. Many thanks to Monterey, vulgo macOS 12.2.1!

Now really pessimistic,
hp

#4 2022-03-08 22:05:42

hpp

Now I had some success. Debian buster runs smoothly with VirtualBox, I had been able to install Scibian10. It ist really very (!!!) important to find the matching versions. Scibian10 ist NOT installable under the actual Debian 11. Btw, Debian buster (which is obligatory) can only be downloaded from a Debian archive, as it is no longer supported.

Singularity is not contained in Scibian! There is a singularity.deb in the Debian distro, but: This is a ridiculous container with "Endgame". So I will have to do the compiling etc by myself. I cannot understand this. Scibian is made for applications like CodeAster and Salome. Why is singularity missing?

I do not want to send endless complaints. Instead, I adjust myself to the historical task of compiling. At least I am used to. Anyway I'll keep you informed.

Still not very happy,
hp

#5 2022-03-11 14:04:16

hberro

Hello hpp,

You do not need Scibian to run this singularity, you can use insteady the Linux OS of your choice!

The image (sif file) has been tested on different debian, RedHat, OpenSUSE based OS's.

#6 2022-03-13 23:08:47

hpp

Hello hberro,

of course I am aware of the fact that Scibian is by no means obligatory. I have understood Scibian as a recommandation, so to say the OS of choice! Why should I choose another distro?

I am really patient. Scibian is a little bit bizarre. It has a startpage for firefox pointing to myelectric ... where I might log in (which is naturally impossible).

Anyway, I have tried the somewhat tedious task of installing singularity (I suppose there is no other distro with a precompiled singularity). This is all really interesting, because now I ran against another wall. Make tells me that the file seccomp.h is missing. Ok, we can search and try and maybe find. In reality, the recipe of singularity install does not work flawlessly. But singularity is absolutely necessary? IMHO, it is something like a matrioshka. As I don't want to buy a dedicated machine for codeaster/salome, I build a virtualized linux (debian etc), and in this virtualization I run another virtualization: the singularity container.

What I like to say about those installation problems in french will not be very good manners.

singularity, c'est le bordel. Ça m'agace. Ça me fait ch... non, je ne veux pas écrire comme ça.

Maybe an installation on a simple debian base will be better. I got time enough for a new attempt. And I hope I'll have success with that horrible singularity which seems to be something like a mathematical singularity.

Sorry for my rude words. The whole thing leaves me still unhappy. I have adjusted to the fact that codeaster/salome is linux-based, because I know lots of linuxes for many years. The more I try the actual ideas the more obstacles I find. My last success which is still running is the version SM2019.0.3.

But I don't give up!

Greetz, hp

#7 2022-07-14 20:27:03

hpp

As I wrote: I won't give up!

Most important is the fact that there is no way of compiling singularity under MacOS. This is due to the lack of the system-dependent files in .../namespaces. These exist exclusively for linux. Renaming them to "...darwin...go" is no solution because the linux-specific definitions don't work for MacOS. At this moment I am too lazy (or too tired) to search for correct definitions.

But there is hope. It is possible to install Lima which is able to launch container files. Lima seems to provide for a sort of linux environment on MacOS; 'lima uname' gives "Linux". Lima can use singularity (the linux binary, of course), and lima together with singularity are able to launch the salomemeca-container (*.sif). Upto this point all seems to be perfect. But salome exits with an error:

File "/opt/salome_meca/appli_V2021/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 639, in startSalome
    session=clt.waitNSPID("/Kernel/Session",mySessionServ.PID,SALOME.Session)
  File "/opt/salome_meca/Salome-V2021-s9/modules/KERNEL_V9_7_0/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 183, in waitNSPID
    raise RuntimeError("Process %d for %s not found" % (thePID,theName))
RuntimeError: Process 10730 for /Kernel/Session not found

Here I am in trouble. Is this error due to the double virtualization lima/singularity or is it a problem in salome itself? The container is the latest version.

D'accord, on verra.

Amitiés, hp

Last edited by hpp (2022-07-15 11:59:28)

#8 2022-07-15 12:07:41

hpp

Additionally, there is a question. I have succeeded in starting a "singularity shell" with salome which shows the prompt "singularity". This is really the salome-related container, because singularity is downloaded from fedora (most probably english) and error messages are given in french.

Inside singularity-salome I can call as_run, of couse with errors as there are no input files. On the contrary, runSalomeMeca (the usual start command), is not found (commande introuvable,  aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type). How can I start salome inside a singularity shell?

THX in advance,
hp

Last edited by hpp (2022-07-15 21:41:14)

#9 2022-07-18 08:13:37

hpp

Again: One step further. I had been stupid with respect to the functionality of singularity. Because there are no aliases I had been very uncertain how aster/salome-related commands are found. echo $PATH helps ...

I understand that singularity makes a linux environment of its own. So far all is well defined. However, the problem of starting salomemeca remains. There is still the error message I have mentioned in my "complaint" from 2022-07-14 21:27:03.

I have a diffuse memory of a similar error in a former version. Maybe there is a hint? Of course I can have a look in the scripts ... anyway, I would be very very grateful for a little help.

Amitiés, hp