Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-15 09:39:42

Dani

Easy install on Linux/Mac with Snap installation

Hello Guys

I really love to use code_aster, but mostly in a programming/automation way. For this i have to always install code_aster by itself not in Salome Mecca. As you probably know, this can be really painful. So i thought to solve this problem for all (or at least most) linux and mac user (as for windows there is a good alternative) i would crate a snap version.

Snap (snapcraft.io/) makes it really easy to install software, as it runs in a sandbox and the dependencies are shipped with it. The creation of a snap should be also not so hard as you can see in this documentation snapcraft.io/docs/creating-a-snap. But still i struggle with the installation of code_aster, as the always refer to the wrong libraries. There is a lifecycle: pull -> build -> stage -> prime -> snap (snapcraft.io/docs/parts-lifecycle) and everything in the prime folder in the end will be snapped. But after the installation of code_aster it refers to libraries outside the prime folder (mostly /usr/lib ... and so on).

I created a repository (gitlab.com/code_aster/code_aster_snap) with the stuff i did already to create the snap. Is there someone of the creators/maintainers of code_aster (or anyone else) how could help me? It would be really helpful as the installation of code_aster could be always be easy and perfect with all its dependencies!

Regards Daniel

PS: As a sidenote, the performance of a snap should be close to the same (or at least not much slower) as a clean installation.
PS: I wanted to do links for the urls in this post, but i was blocked by the forum. So please add www. or https:// before the links

#2 2021-03-15 14:02:21

sameer21101970

Re: Easy install on Linux/Mac with Snap installation

Can you build parallel version with help of snap.

saw your gitlab,, if you can mention all steps of installation, even codeaster, how to download in snap...for non-experts in computer it will be much helpful.

#3 2021-03-15 15:04:53

Dani

Re: Easy install on Linux/Mac with Snap installation

sameer21101970 wrote:

Can you build parallel version with help of snap.

saw your gitlab,, if you can mention all steps of installation, even codeaster, how to download in snap...for non-experts in computer it will be much helpful.

Hey. Actually i don't know as this would be my first build of a snap. But I guess yes, as the base system is a ubunut 18 LTS. The installation process of a deployed/published snap is quite easy. You just have to install snap (the bas system) like:

Fedora:
sudo dnf install snapd
sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap

Ubuntu:
It is mostly already installed. As it originally comes from the ubuntu system.

Then there are a lot of programs available to install for the user. Like FreeCAD or LibreOffice and others.
If the creator of the new snap (for example aster) published it in the snapstore, any user can install it with:

sudo snap install aster (if aster is the package name)

Done! Different Versions like code_aster 13 and 14 are possible even beta and soon.

I hope i was able to answer your questions ? As i said my knowledge of the code_aster installation process is not enough to create the snap by my self :-(

regards