Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-18 16:38:13

MaxPen

Gradient of temperature in beam elements

Hello everybody!
I'm wondering if it is possible to model gradient on temperature  (e.g. Bottom cold, top hot) in beam elements such as POU_D_E .
I was actually able to do that with shell elements such as DKT using TEMP_INF, TEMP_MID and TEMP_SUP but not with beams.
If it is not possible, are they any workaround that I could use (e.g. Imposing curvature or moments on the beam)?
Alternatively, would it be possible for me to introduce a custom element able to do it? In this case, do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

#2 2015-05-18 17:11:57

jeanpierreaubry
Guru

Re: Gradient of temperature in beam elements

hello

i do not know if it is possible to assign a temperature on the top face and a different one on the bottom face,
i doubt it is possible
this is of course feasible with DKT elements
imposing curvature with the adequate moment seems a good workaround with due care considering the signs that depend on beam element orientation

some python scripting could probably automate this moment calculation given the 2 temperatures

jean pierre aubry

consider reading my book
freely available here https://framabook.org/beginning-with-code_aster/

#3 2015-05-19 10:57:31

delmas
Administrator

No, it is not possible on POU_D_E. But maybe with POU_D_EM.

Regards.

Code_Aster release : unstable on (Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 64 bits) - GNU + Intel

Code_Aster. What else ?

#4 2015-05-19 13:10:15

MaxPen

Thank you guys for the quick answer.

The idea of using multifiber elements is very interesting. In fact, I already considered it as an option,  but I never used them yet.
As far as I know, with POU_D_EM is possible to define different layers of different materials. Is it also possible to set different layers temperature? Or do you think it would be possible to get the effect I'm searching setting different thermal expansion coefficient in the different layers ?
Does anyone have an example of use of POU_D_EM or knows where I can find one?

Many thanks in advance

Massimo